Thursday, December 26, 2013

Top Ten of 2013...#6 Vest



It's that time of the year. Time for a plethora of Top Ten lists. Many produce them and guess what, they're utterly unabashed unapologetic subjective filler. Something to plug into copy space so that the writer can take time off to enjoy the holidays. So here are My Top Ten (Plus a Few) Favorite Things of 2013. Some have been around awhile, I generally discover things later than most. I'm going to dribble them out one day at a time, many are completely frivolous because remember: they're filler so that I can do year-end holiday things. (Repeated intro from yesterday, more filler.)

The new vest looks darn good with the red-tailed hawk.


More frivolous filler to end the year.

 My Favorite 'Good Deal' of 2013. For a guy, a good deal is not only savored, it's beatified. I generally make very few adjustments to my wardrobe; adding a new tee shirt is more of a change of message than a change of fashion. I'm not really a clothes horse, more of a mule's blanket.

Enter Brothers in South Knoxville, a traditional small town, non-franchised barbershop like Floyd's back in Mayberry. "Brothers" is his nickname, he's had it since he was a kid and the funny thing: he has no siblings. So Brothers has no brothers, just fast trims with the news of the neighborhood. 

He works alone and his floorspace is so spacious, Brothers recently opened a secondhand shop in one end. 

While getting a haircut in October and talking old cars, I noticed a dark brown suede vest hanging on a rack. 

"How much for the vest, Brothers?"

"Oh. I'm asking five dollars," he replied.

Wow. An $8 cut, a $5 vest. Thirteen bucks and I leave the shop a new man, looking a little more like a graying Jackson Browne than when I arrived. And of course, even Jackson is graying a bit.

Time is the ultimate conqueror, especially if you've been running on empty since the early 70s.



• 

No comments: