Saturday, December 20, 2008

drawn to it


Photography is great. If you follow my blog you know that I take a lot of pictures. Always have.

But, if you truly want to SEE something, you have to draw it. This forces you to slow down and really look.

Recently I watched a belted kingfisher preen itself and I realized how much fun it would be to sketch one.

Slate blue and medium-sized, belted kingfishers have rather large heads and amazing blunt, often disheveled, crests reminiscent of the punk rock, spiked Mohawk hairstyles of the 1980s. I could use the word comical but that distracts from the overall regal dignity of the species.

Ever vigilant, they are generally seen perched over creeks and rivers, watching for slow moving fish near the surface. If a meal is spotted, they'll plunge headfirst into the water to snatch it. They are also rather noisy: their call a raucous rattle akin to a hoarse, maniacal burst of laugher. You generally hear them as they dart from perch to perch, laughing all the way, as if they have just played a practical joke and cannot contain their zeal for their devilment.

Parent kingfishers nest in tunnels they burrow into the sides of riverbanks. Both parents burrow, they take turns incubating the clutch and both feed the young.

They are also an example of reverse sexual dimorphism: the female is more brightly colored than the male. Why? No one knows for sure. And the kingfishers are being rather reticent on the topic.

9 comments:

Vickie said...

A wonderful drawing! I love it. Yes, I just recently learned that the female has the rusty breast band.

Stephen Lyn Bales said...

Thanks Vickie.

The kingfisher was fun, fun, fun to draw, especially that wild punky crest. And as I know you know, you really have to get turned on to something to want to draw it. They are water birds that are often overlooked for more glamorous species, but they definitely have a charm all their own.

Beverly said...

When I had my pond in Denver, my yard was frequented by a little kingfisher. You captured the bird perfectly!

Have a lovely holiday,
Beverly

Stephen Lyn Bales said...

Thanks Beverly. You have a happy holiday as well.

Diane AZ said...

I love your kingfisher drawing and your description of their behavior. I'm not sure if I've seen kingfishers in the wild. Great post!

flowergirl said...

I loved your drawing, and I have to agree with your statement that if you had to sketch it, you notice it in much greater detail.

Unfortunately, I cant sketch/draw to save my life!

We have a lot of kingfishers here, but mainly the white-breasted, not this one. My interest has gone up, now that you mention that the female is better looking?! Thats a nice change!

Anonymous said...

Hi - this is my first visit to your blog. I think you are spot-on about sketching, and how it helps you really "see" a bird. I saw my first kingfisher last summer, and was amused at how it bashed a fish on a tree limb a few times before flipping it into its mouth. Nice sketch!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the wonderful drawing and update on these fascinating birds. I've seen them twice lately (guess I know where to look from now on)... so I appreciate the info on their habits.

Anonymous said...

Hi Stephen,I greatly enjoyed my first visit to your blog and will come back to see more.

Your Belted Kingfisher sketch is perfect! We fortunately see them often on the Sacramento River and the local streams here in northern California.

They are actually one of my favorite birds. I sometimes see one on the wire, next to a bridge I must cross to go to work everyday. Their stout little bodies and outrageous crest make them a joy to watch.

Your description of them is excellent. The way they laugh and fly like little rockets from one place to another is enchanting. And when you get to see them fish, they show their true colors.