Friday, December 12, 2008

missed opportunity


So what’s the dang deal? We go to bed thinking, perhaps even hoping, for a little snow to brighten the woodlands. After all, 'tis the season. Parts of Mississippi got eight inches of the frozen confection yesterday. Heck, it even snowed in New Orleans for only the fourth time since Teddy Roosevelt roamed the White House hallways.

So, why not us? Why was the Tennessee Valley left out? We ARE farther north. Compared to the Big Easy, we’re practically in the Arctic Circle.

I recently read that the Weather Channel has had to lay off a few people including on-air meteorologists. Does this mean they are losing a bit of the control over the weather they have had for two decades? Goodness, I hate to imagine what’s next!

Early this morning, Spring Creek near my home did manage to produce its own fog bank, albeit a mini, short-lived one. The photograph I took is very reminiscent of the painting by William Bliss Baker I waxed poetically about on November 25.

















10 comments:

Vickie said...

Beautiful photo, Lyn. And yes, I was disappointed that I didn't get to see a little snow, too.

BriteCloud said...

WE got your snow!! We rarely see snow this far south. Last time was 4 years ago, before that it was 25+ years. (Steve blames global warming.)

It was great fun! Hope you get some of the white stuff.

Your photo is beautiful.

Rhonda

Anonymous said...

I was disappointed there wasn't any snow this morning...I think my kids were disappointed too...they had to go to school afterall. :)

Nicki said...

Beautiful photo! It makes me miss Tennessee.

Stephen Lyn Bales said...

Hello Vickie.

Yes, such a disappointment. It seems we have absolutely forgotten how to have snow. Maybe we should all attend a class on it. I simply do not remember what it is like.

Please stay warm.

Stephen Lyn Bales said...

Hello dear Rhonda!

You got our snow!! So that's where it went. Could you kindly ship it to us? UPS it maybe? It would get here in time for Christmas. I hear once you warm it up a little it fits into a much smaller package.

First you guys get a hurricane, and now snow.

I hope you have recovered from both, at least the snow was pretty to look at. And I'm sure the kids all enjoyed it.

Texas is such a big place. It would take a lot of snow to cover it completely.

Stephen Lyn Bales said...

Marsha.

Yes, once the kids hear that just maybe we will get snow, they start planning their day off. When they get up to no snow, they are almost inconsolable. Such long, long faces as they trundle off to school.

Stephen Lyn Bales said...

Hello dear Nicki!

I haven't heard from you in awhile. I thought you had already moved back to Tennessee and were settling into Nashville.

We are still here. Just over the mountain, granted it's a long range of mountains, but they are old and somebody has built a road that works its way through the passes along the river.

I hope all is well with you. I'm working hard on my second book, I'm trying to finish it before it finishes me. If you know what I mean.

Beverly said...

Oh my, thank you for sharing such a lovely place! I love those moist, secret and still a bit wild places! In my mind, it reminds me of the painting you shared "Fallen Monarch"...perhaps just shifting your point of view just a bit while standing in the very same place! Wonderful...

Stephen Lyn Bales said...

Hello Beverly. Yes, the location does remind me a lot of the Bliss Baker painting.

Living where you live, snow is probably no big wonderment. Just a fact of life. But here, we so rarely see it, even the thought of it, makes us go a little crazy, run to the store for milk and bread, plan the books we want to read and movies we want to watch, etc. etc.

It's a big let down when an opportunity passes us by. Ho Hum.

Today it's in the 60s with more rain on the way.

Happy Holidays.