Tuesday, December 17, 2013

short day, long night



Tennessee River, Downtown Knoxville: 18 December 2013

“There's a sunrise and a sunset 
every single day, and they're absolutely free. 
Don't miss so many of them.”   
– Jo Walton, science fiction writer


I'm not fond of this short day, long night thing. It tousles my sense of balance. I'm more of an equinox man. I could never live in Finland, not in the winter. If Hemingway had lived that far north, his 1926 novel would have been titled "The Sun Never Rises." Come to think of it, for the protagonist Jake Barnes, it never did.

But the one advantage of early nightfall is that the sun is often setting when I drive home from work over the South Knoxville Bridge and as the writer Jo Walton said, admission to watch it is absolutely free.



No comments: