Thursday, July 1, 2010

a goodyera












Shortly after posting about Green Adder's Mouth, I heard from whimmydoddle:

"The dwarf rattlesnake plantain (Goodyera repens) is blooming in Unicoi County. There's a place near my home with a substantial population of this rare species."

Also know as lesser rattlesnake orchis, its Latin name honors English botanist and botanical writer John Goodyer (1592-1664); repens means "to creep." So a rough translation would be "creeping English botanist"?

Thanks, whimmy.




4 comments:

500Jerk said...

Hi Lyn,
Hope you are well! Any suggestions on falconers in the nearby vicnity? I know a seven year-old boy who is very interested (and remembered your holding an owl like a falconer).
500Jerk

Stephen Lyn Bales said...

Hey there J500.

Yes, I often get to walk around the nature center with an owl or hawk on my arm (it's the best part of my job) but I'm not a falconer. Our birds are not trained to hunt, they have all been injured in some way and cannot fly well.

There are falconers in the area and have to have permits to be such but I do not know any personally.

If you bring your seven-year-old to the nature center some Saturday, I'll show him a bird up close.

OK?

500Jerk said...

Thank you very much--he will love that!

Stephen Lyn Bales said...

J500. Just let me know you are coming so that I can make sure to be there.

OK?