Thursday, July 29, 2010

rescued kook





I recently heard from Phyllis Wilson:

"I had yellow-billed cuckoos in Texas. I lived on a large, wooded lot and they migrated in later than any other birds and hastily build their rickety nests. Their call is unmistakable. But, according to my bird ID book, they're not in this area. Which is why I could not explain why I thought I might be hearing them in the trees above where we live now. That is, until I read your blogs. Now I realize that they are indeed here, although I may never see them. Pretty cool.

I once 'rescued' a female who had crashed into my window while hunting for insects for her babies. Held her and fed her hummingbird food while she recovered."

I had a very different experience. I once saw a cuckoo fly into one of the windows at the Ijams gift shop. As I watched it on the ground, it twitched and died.

Thanks, Phyllis


No comments: