Sunday, March 29, 2009

cow slop












Four days of off and on rain have left the dark-soiled sloppy places here in the valley even sloppier, growing conditions that are perfect for Virginia bluebells, a.k.a. cowslip.

This second commonly used name comes from the Anglo-Saxon word “cuslyppe,” or cow slop. Now, how aromatic sounding is that? Brings back memories of life on the farm. I’ve trudged through these kinds of places and as you might guess: you have to watch your step.

Bluebells flourish in low-lying damp locations and the well-fertilized soil of sloppy cow pastures.

This brings to mind an Ancient Greek axiom: "beauty can grow from a lowly root, fed by unpleasing things." Squalor. Or to modernize the notion: beauty is often found in the most unlikely places, all you have to do is be receptive. Or in this case, slop through the mud to find it.

Photo taken at Ijams Nature Center.

6 comments:

Rick said...

Very funny name for your blog. Not what I think about when "nature calls." (All thru the night at my age.)

Stephen Lyn Bales said...

Hello Rick. Good morning.

Yes, I also know the slight double entendre suggested by my title. At my age, nature sometimes calls at the most inconvenient of times as well.

Thank you for your visit.

Abhishek said...

Wow, I guess weather connects us all in some mysterious & funny ways. You know why I'm saying this.... b'cos it's suppose to be pretty hot here in India as its summer season but It's been raining from last two days and the weather is almost perfect to go out and enjoy. When i read your blog post,it felt as if you're talking about weather India.

You write very well.. I liked your posts.

Stephen Lyn Bales said...

Hello Aby!

Knowing that I am being read by someone in India delights me. Wow! What an amazing, amazing thing the Internet truly is. Any two people can simply get together and just chat about the weather.

Speaking of which, I hope you get to go out and enjoy your pleasant weather. As you might surmise, I try to go out everyday and look for something to be thrilled by.

It is spring here, so everyday there is something new and fresh.

Vickie said...

Oh, me. Bluebells just don't bring cow slop to my mind. I've encountered many more sloppy cow pastures than the bluebells. Thanks for alerting me that their blooms are appearing!

Stephen Lyn Bales said...

Vickie. Hello. I forget you are a farm girl.

It's good to hear from you. We have bluebells in bloom at Ijams and you do not have to walk through cow slop to see them.