Thursday, March 12, 2009

stones








“Fixed ideas prevent me from seeing clearly. My art makes me see again what is there, and in this respect I am also rediscovering the child within. In the past I have felt uncomfortable when my work has been associated with children because of the implication that what I do is merely play. Since having children of my own, however, and seeing the intensity with which they discover through play, I have to acknowledge this in my work as well.” - Andy Goldsworthy, from his book “Stone.”

Goldsworthy’s message is filled with wisdom. Fixed ideas DO prevent us from seeing. We should all approach each walk outdoors with no fixed ideas with the eyes of a child and a sense of wonder. If you are not familiar with the British environmental sculptor Goldsworthy, you should discover his work. (See my postings of March 5 and 6.)

Growing up with modest means in the mountains of East Tennessee, our toys were the rocks and sticks we found outside. Often, we would just pile up rocks. Goldsworthy has carried this sense of exploration to a most sublime conclusion, creating works of art that are as beautiful as they are natural. His book “Stone” is a portfolio of some of his creative explorations with found rocks, sticks, dirt, sand and stones. Look for it. Buy it!

Thanks, Karen Suzy.

No comments: