Saturday, April 3, 2010

no sting





To someone, dead-nettle looked like a nettle but it didn't sting like a nettle so it became known as dead-nettle.

But red dead-nettle, a.k.a. purple dead-nettle, (it's really a red-purple, with purplish leaves, red pollen and lavender flowers) isn't a nettle at all, it's a mint. Actually the low-growing weed is a highly invasive alien to my part of the world; it's originally from Europe and Asia but now blooms profusely in lawns and meadows and other open cultivated places early in the season. By summer, it'll be gone.

2 comments:

Kathy McGinnis-Craft said...

I must protest! This awful plant doesn't deserve to be on your site! When I lived in Illinois, my mortal enemy was Bittersweet Nightshade (Solanum dulcamara). Here, it's Dead Nettle (Lamium purpureum) and its relative Henbit (L. amplexicaule). Sometimes it feels like I spend more time pulling it up than doing actual gardening!

Stephen Lyn Bales said...

Hello Kathy.

Ho have you been?

Perhaps I should change my blog's title to "All weeds considered" But only considered.