Friday, April 2, 2010

book update



An update on “Ghost Birds: Jim Tanner and the Ivory-bill, 1935-1941”:

Writing a book is like running a marathon. Not one of those modern 26-mile marathons; one more like the original ran by Pheidippides, the Athenian herald, who ran 150 miles (240 km) in two days. He then ran an additional 25 miles (40 km) from the battlefield near the town of Marathon (hence the name) to Athens to announce the Greek victory over Persia in the Battle of Marathon (490 BC). Newspapers hadn't been invented yet.

That’s what writing a book is like. Just when you think you are finished, there’s little more to do. Has anyone seen my sneakers? The book has been through the capable hands of Gene Adair, the manuscript editor at UT Press. Gene continued the process of tightening the work. Much like a film director’s rough-cut movie that must be trimmed from a running time of two-and-a-half hours down to two-hours, “Ghost Birds” is being trimmed, scenes shortened or deleted. (If there’s a DVD produced, I’ll consider including the deleted scenes.)

Currently, the manuscript is back in my lap for my last nips and tucks. Nancy Tanner and I are both rereading it.

I’ll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Gwendolyn said...

Did you read Persian Fire? It's an historical account of the build up to the battle between Persia and Greece, and it is wonderfully written. It reads like a novel, I couldn't put it down. I couldn't believe I was reading actual HISTORY, and not some crazy, over the top made up movie plot.

Good luck with the final stretch of the book writing! I can't wait until it's out - I'm going to give a copy to my Dad.

Stephen Lyn Bales said...

Thanks Gwen!

I can't wait either. I've been sealed away the past few weeks like the Prisoner of Zenda, tying up loose ends, double checking quotes, references, making my final fixes to the manuscript. etc. etc.

I try to take a break once a day to run outside with my camera because there is so much going on!

When my life settles down, I'll look for the book you mentioned.

Enjoy you day. And thanks for the long distance support.

Lyn