Saturday, April 10, 2010

ivory-bill talk




Join us at Ijams Nature Center for this month's Science Café: Thurs., April 15, 5:30 p.m.

I'll hold an informal chat about the behind-the-scenes research for my upcoming book “Ghost Birds: Jim Tanner and the Ivory-bill, 1935-1941.”

My second book for UT Press will detail the story of Dr. James T. Tanner and his study of the historic ivory-billed woodpecker of the 1930s. It's the famous small population of ivory-bills first rediscovered and photographed in the "Singer Tract" by Cornell's Dr. Arthur Allen on his 1935 expedition across the country with Peter Paul Kellogg and grad student Jim Tanner.

My book follows Tanner on his peregrinations through the South. What did he learn? What did I learn? Attend this month’s Science Café for a sneak peak and find out. Nancy Tanner and I have worked on the book the past three years. Nancy, who last saw an ivory-bill in December 1941, will also be present for the talk.

To register call Sheila at (865) 577-4717, ext. 10.

"Ghost Birds: Jim Tanner and the Ivory-bill, 1935-1941" will be published this fall by UT Press.

No comments: