Monday, April 26, 2010

life in the skies







To say Jonathan Rosen’s “The Life of the Skies: Birding at the End of Nature” is a book about birding is like saying the Queen Mary was a boat. Well yes it was, or is, but it is so much more.

At its core is the author’s newfound love of birding, which the New Yorker practices in Central Park. It’s a spiritual connection to birds and nature or as he cites famed biologist E.O. Wilson, a “biophilia,” the love of life.

Through the book’s series of connected essays, Rosen also manages to trace the history of our relationship to birds through the writings and lives of literary and historic figures: Audubon, Thoreau, Darwin, Wallace, Dickinson, Whitman, Faulkner, Theodore Roosevelt, to name a few.

But to balance these spiritually uplifting sentiments, Rosen weaves in a cloud of melancholy. The book begins and ends with the story of the ivory-billed woodpecker, a bird that he points out “does and does not exist.” Is it extinct or not? And if it is extinct, what does that say about us?

“The Life of the Skies” is a positive title, but his darker subhead “Birding at the End of Nature” is the real crux of his work or his woes. As anyone who loves birds already knows, species are disappearing all over the world. The author uses a line from poet Robert Frost to bring this point home: “What to make of a diminished thing.” Indeed. What do we make of a truly diminished natural world? The America of Audubon is gone. In the closing day's of Jim Tanner's search for the ivory-billed woodpecker, he too realized that their world—large tracts of old forested swamps in the South—were also almost gone.

How SHOULD we feel, loving a thing that does and does not exist?

Excellent book.

4 comments:

cyberthrush said...

yes, "Life of the Skies" is one of my very favorite bird volumes, but the other one I'd highly recommend (with a similar writing style), is last year's "A Year On the Wing" by Brit Tim Dee... incredible piece of nature writing!!

Abhishek said...

I'll try my hand at this copy... first let me see if I can find it here in India.

Stephen Lyn Bales said...

cyberthrush.

Thanks. I'll look for it. Now that I've finished my book, I have more time to read.

Stephen Lyn Bales said...

Aby.

Thanks. I hope you can find it in India. If you do and get a chance to read it, let me know what you think.