Friday, August 14, 2015

mindfulness



Recently, I learned a new word: “paracme.” It’s found in the Oxford English Dictionary and means “the point at which one is past one's prime.” 

Ouch! Someone had to put a label on it.

I spent a long time pondering: did the word apply to me? And finally decided that if I was pondering if the word applied to me it probably did apply to me. 

But, that wasn't necessarily a bad thing since my life has never been better, richer or more rewarding, albeit my heart is full of saddness because my mother just passed away. 

Pacacme brings wisdom and the understanding that each day is to be savored. It could be argued that you really do not start to live fully until you reach paracme; everything before that is preparation for the life you were destined to live.

So, having determined that, I breathed a sigh of relief.

And then I wondered if the term could also apply to flowers. If so, I just love purple coneflowers (a.k.a. Echinacea) in paracme, the time when their color begins to fade, their petals start to droop and their seedheads begin to swell.

The lavenderish flowers develop this lovely ballerina quality, as though they are taking their final bows after a fervent performance. A bit past prime, but still lovely nonetheless.

And speaking of living fully, I'm leading a mindfulness walk this Sunday at Ijams. Here are the details from our PR department...

Sunday, August 16, 4 p.m.
Mindfulness Walk at Ijams
(Recommended for adults) The Ijams Sanctuary Series is a new program designed to help visitors slow down and appreciate all the beauty in their surroundings. “Shinrin-Yoku,” or forest bathing, is the slow, meditative exploration of the forest using all five senses. By removing distractions such as cell phones, cameras and even talking, participants are able to truly engage with their surroundings and experience the restorative properties of nature. The fee for this program is $7 for Ijams members and $10 for non-members. Please call (865) 577-4717, ext. 110 to register.



No comments: