Wednesday, December 16, 2015

2015: favorite newly discovered old CD




2015: The Best & Worst! This is the time of the year when writers coast. They dream up their totally subjective best and worse lists for the year that's rapidly coming to a close. Why? So they can focus on the important things...the holidays. So with that in mind, here's my annual look back:

In the spring, Karen Sue first played "Life is Beautiful" for me from Suitcase. Knowing my musical tastes, she thought I'd like it as indeed, I did.

Music finds me slowly in the hills of East Tennessee. Suitcase by Keb' Mo' (a.k.a. Kevin Moore) was released in 2006, so I'm only nine years from being current with this one. Odd, since Delta Bluesman Keb' Mo' lives in Nashville only two hours away. As the crow flies, I should have heard this one sooner.

The multi-talented Keb' has appeared on other recordings going back to the early 1970s. He's a singer, songwriter and musicianon Suitcase he plays: 

        • electric guitar
        National steel guitar 
        Pogreba resonator guitar
        • rhythm guitar
        • steel dobro
        • acoustic guitar 
        • banjo

which makes you wonder when he found the time to sing. 

Keb' is also a three-time Grammy Award winner. Suitcase, his ninth solo studio recording, was nominated for Best Contemporary Blues Album.

Here's a sample:

 

No comments: