Sunday, December 20, 2015

2015: favorite trip to my ancestral Smokies



Ephraim Bales Cabin. Photo by Tom Simmons

2015: The Best & Worst! This is the time of the year when writers coast. They dream up their totally subjective best and worse lists for the year that's rapidly coming to a close. Why? So they can focus on the important things...the holidays. So with that in mind: 

My favorite trip to my ancestral homeland in the Smokies came in September. 

Judy Collins of the Great Smoky Mountain Association asked me to lead a heritage tour of the Cherokee Orchard/Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail. And all I had to do was channel my late Grandfather Homer Daniel Bales who was born in the cabin above on 5 January 1899. 

He taught me what to say over 40 years ago. 

For more details, click: Heritage Tour


Karen Sue


No comments: