Wednesday, April 18, 2012

upland oddity


American Woodcock
Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't American woodcocks the oddest looking bird in our part of the world?

I'm pretty odd looking myself, so I really have no room to talk, and truthfully, I love the chunky, little upland shorebirds that are more related to sandpipers and plovers than they are to grouse, so odd they are.

Woodcocks are so well camouflaged to hide in the leaves that you rarely see them.

Gretchen Kirkland was recently out bushwhacking when she startled one. Luckily, she was able to snap its photo before it trundled away.

Thanks for sharing, Gretchen. 

1 comment:

A Colorful World said...

I just love woodcocks (snipes) because they are so unusual. My sister had one in her yard once and that was such a treat to see.