Friday, April 20, 2012

home again




Hooded warbler (Wilsonia citrina)

Ijams volunteer Cathy Nipper reports she saw a prairie and hooded warbler at Freel’s Bend on the Three Bend Scenic and Wildlife Refuge in Oak Ridge.  

Cathy is taking a class in Ecology and Management of Wild Birds at UT and was there Wednesday morning identifying birds for a field lab.  Dr. David Buehler is the course instructor, and they were led on the field trip by Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency wildlife manager Jim Evans. 

There are a total of 53 wood warbler species found in North America, well 52 if you leave out Bachman's warbler, which is probably extinct. Of the 52, 14 are western species and 38 are eastern. Most do not raise their families in the Volunteer State, just migrate through, but the prairie and hooded both nest in the mountains of East Tennessee.

• 


2 comments:

A Colorful World said...

Oh what a pretty bird!

Have a great week!

Dorothy said...

Marie told me about your wonderful Nature blog. I, too, love Nature (and it's Creator)! I have a photo blog, mostly of birds I see around our home. I saw one last week I couldn't quite ID. I'm told it may be a Pine Warbler. I invite you to look at the post on my blog, Counting My Blessings at: http://www.mawdot.blogspot.com/2012/04/whats-my-name.html" Copy and paste.
Thanks,
Dorothy