Tuesday, May 13, 2008

new green?


This time of the year, we go on and on about the colorful flowers. Goodness knows I have. But one thing that makes spring so beautiful is the new leaves. The verdant fresh leaves on all the trees, including the evergreens.

As I write this, there’s a towering American beech outside my window. Towering. I'm humbled by its majesty. It has now completely leafed out for the season. Its leaves are a bright yellow-green (really a chartreuse) that will darken as time passes. So here’s the question, and I don’t know the answer, why are these new leaves lighter green? This is true even on the hemlocks beside my driveway. In fact, it’s even more noticeable on the evergreens because the new needles are next to older ones.

So again, why are new leaves lighter green?

4 comments:

Vickie said...

I'm thinking its the new green of baby skin next to the darkened age spots and wrinkles of time, exposure, endurance.
I noticed this too, when I was enjoying the Quaker ladies, the bright green tips of the pine, new and sparkling with youth.

Beverly said...

Ten to one, you'll find your answer here:

http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/trek/4wd/may99_1.htm

I'm happy with it,
Beverly

...who greatly admires your work.

Stephen Lyn Bales said...

Vickie.

Oh my goodness. I ran to the mirror and realized that I no longer have the new green baby skin I once had. I'm over-exposed, wrinkled and gray. Like those old green leaves, I've aged.

YIKES!!

Stephen Lyn Bales said...

Beverly.

thank you for your source. I'll see what I can find out.

I hope the leaves are turning green where you live.

stephen lyn