Saturday, April 9, 2011

almost a seasoning





Recently I heard from my friend Sue Wagoner who lives near the Mason-Dixon Line (in this case, Mason and Dixon, Illinois) in Aurora. She sent me two photos of different rare birds she had encountered this past winter.

The first (I'll post the second tomorrow) is a western species of duck that rarely turns up in the east but the above cinnamon teal spent quite a bit of time 0n a pond in Lincoln Park in the middle of the Windy City, much to the delight of bird-loving Chicagoans, Sue and other wildlife photographers who kept plying it corn to entice it to stay, which of course it did.

Fame and notoriety, plus free eats. Why go anywhere else?

There was only the lone teal, had there been more I would have reveled in posting that a group of cinnamon teals is known as a "seasoning" of teals.

Delightful.

Thanks, Sue.



No comments: