Friday, January 22, 2010

winter birds







“This pert little winter wren, for instance, darting in and out the fence, diving under the rubbish here and coming up yards away, — how does he manage with those little circular wings to compass degrees and zones, and arrive always in the nick of time?”

The little busybody “does he travel by easy stages from bush to bush and from wood to wood? Or has that compact little body force and courage to brave the night and upper air, and so achieve leagues at one pull?”

Asked John Burroughs in his 1871 book "Wake-Robin."

And speaking of winter wrens. I'll be presenting a workshop on Winter Birds (the species that only spend their winters in the Tennessee Valley) at Ijams Nature Center, Saturday, January 23 at 9 a.m. It's free to Ijams members, $10 for non-members.

To sign up call 577-4717, ext. 10 or e-mail me. Or stop by the morning of the program.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Can't wait til tomorrow! I've got a couple of Carolina Wrens (I believe that's what they are) at my feeders when it snows. I made some homemade suet and they love it!

Anyway, can't wait to hear more about winter birds tomorrow!

Stephen Lyn Bales said...

Hello Tiffany.

That’s great! Carolina wrens are one of my favorites. Full of zeal.

Bring a pair of binoculars if you have them, if not, we have loner pairs.

Lyn