Thursday, January 28, 2010

Avalon 7





Sitting crossed-legged beside a gravel road, watching a snowy egret slowly high-step-it through swaying marsh grasses, is the way to spend a morning. In truth, at that moment, it seemed like the only way to spend a morning.

Black legs and, oh, those lemon-yellow feet!

The egret was methodical. Each move deliberate. Each step measured. One never knows when a quick meal will present itself. That’s true for egrets and egret-watchers alike. Although, I don't know how I feel about raw fish, even if you wrap it in cold sticky rice.

- Photo taken at the Wetlands Institute, Stone Harbor, NJ

2 comments:

Gwendolyn said...

How lovely - the layers of color are wonderful, as is the still watching of the heron.

Stephen Lyn Bales said...

Hello Gwen.

The cold weather has me cooped up indoors, so I decided to reminisce about our trip in October.

Karen Sue and I were actually not that far from you.

Stay warm.