Friday, August 21, 2009

is this chemistry?




Far be it from me to bring high school chemistry class into our little nature walks, but it is said that a cultivated hydrangea often mirrors the pH of the soil: acidic soils produce blue flowers, neutral soils produce very pale cream petals and alkaline soils results in pink or purple.

So is this one blue or pink or purple? Is it pH confused? Or am I? Is it pinkish purple, or bluish pink? Or is that one and the same?

Am I asking too many questions? Is my head spinning in circles? Should I go wash the car? Are my feet too big?

Tomorrow, we'll look at the high school physics behind the formation of rainbows. And then the fractal math in a fern. (Just kidding.) As Emerson opined, nature should be relished not probed.

No lady wants to give up her secrets.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blue or pink or purple? Yes, I'd say all three!

Those Hydrangea flowers remind me of old ladies' bathing caps.

Stephen Lyn Bales said...

Yes, they do.

I hope all is well. It's a bit hectic on my side of the Atlantic. I'm ready for a weekend.

Gwendolyn said...

I don't know either, but what a great shot!