Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Bartram's magnolia?






You can add this to our list of native magnolias. This one is deciduous. We found the young Fraser magnolia growing along the Groto Falls Trail in the Great Smokies.

According to Steve Kemp's "Trees of the Smokies," William Bartram actually discovered this species on his travels through the South but it is named in honor of Scottish botanist John Fraser (1750–1811), who collected extensively in the Appalachian Mountains in the late 1700s.

Go figure.

2 comments:

Abhishek said...

Oh so this is how Magnolia looks like.. I watched this movie Magnolia & was wondering what does that word means. I still don't know why they named it after a plant but at least I got to see how it looks.

Stephen Lyn Bales said...

Hello Aby. So good to hear from you again. I hope you are well.

As far as the word "magnolia, " for a better history go to my post: http://stephenlynbales.blogspot.com/2008/06/simply-grand.html

OK?

Lyn