Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Thoreau's bath




Knee-deep in Walden Pond

Hot here. Ditto most places near here. Ditto most places not even close to here. The heat madness makes you want to jump into a pond, lake or neighbor's birdbath. Water is water.

In early July, Paul James and I were in Concord, Massachusetts on business for the nature center. Of course, we visited Walden Pond. Had to; it drew us like a magnet. I enjoyed it so much I went back a second day. After visiting the original site of Henry David's famous cabin in the woods again, I walked down to the famous pond. Yes, I used famous twice in one sentence, but famous is famous.

It was a hot day there as well, so what the heck, I took my shoes off and went for a wade in the shade. The mud felt good between my toes.

In time, a fellow naturalist walked by, one who lived in the area, a Waldenian, and he remarked, "You know, this cove is where Thoreau took his morning baths."

"Oh, really?"

I've never stood in another man's bathtub, but I felt welcomed, even refreshed. It's been over 150 years since the Master of Walden last used it, so I'm sure the water has had time to refresh itself. That's what water does every time it rains.

And if not, well that's OK too.


No comments: