Saturday, September 24, 2011

the torch doth burn





Margined soldier beetles (Chauliognathus marginatus)



Before the weather turns harsh, there seems to be a rush to mate, lay eggs and die. A scene fitting of Shakespeare, "Oh, happy dagger! This is thy sheath; there rust, and let me die!"

Everywhere I looked the other day, margined soldier beetles seemed to be coupling, especially on the blooming white frostweed.

Was it tawdry of me to take photos?

Well, yes, it probably was since I'm now posting their intimate moment for the world to see. 

So, forget you saw this and move on but remember "This is the place; there, where the torch doth burn."


And with this, Juliet dies. But she laid no eggs.
 

1 comment:

Patricia Lichen said...

Bravo!!! (Love this post!)

But I do hate to see summer go. Parting is such sweet sorrow.