Tuesday, September 20, 2011

fresh jellies






On an Ijams canoe trip on Mead's Quarry Lake that I led last Saturday we found an unexpected curiosity: ghostly freshwater jellyfish! (Craspedacusta sowerbyi)


First reported in the South Knoxville quarry lake in 1997, I didn't expect to find them so late in the season. I associate the coin-sized medusas (ma-DOO-zuhs, say it slow, don't you just love the sound of that word?) with the hot days of late summer. 

For the complete story go to: jellies.


1 comment:

Beverly "SilverBee" Scofield said...

Hello, Stephen!

I enjoyed our conversation last Sunday at the native plant sale at Ijams. Hope you got the photos I sent of that marvelous Medusa Moth. Today I'm telling a Facebook friend about your art, since she is thinking about what she'll do with her degree in art and art history after her upcoming graduation. Expecting to find examples of your art here, I find none! Do you have some here that I just haven't found yet? As for my own interests, besides your bird and insect drawings, I'm finding your blog fascinating. Thanks.