Sunday, February 6, 2011

odorous and spotted




This one surprised me. I thought spotted skunks lived much farther south and that all we had in our region were striped skunks, Mephitis mephitis, which translates to foul-smelling, foul-smelling, so I guess they must smell bad. Call it a hunch.


But a check with Pam Petko-Seus, the wildlife biologist at Ijams, proved I was wrong. As if to underscore my mistake, Ijams member Sharon Burnett sent me a photo she took last December. Voila: no stripes but indeed, spots.


Sharon wrote, "Here is the picture of the spotted skunk we saw on the North Carolina border in the Nantahala." Minus the snowball that conceals the aromatic-mammal's front half, it's still an definative photograph of an animal I didn't even know lived here.



3 comments:

BriteCloud said...

I didn't know there were spotted skunks. Cool!

Rikki Hall said...

My only encounter with a spotted skunk was in Nantahala NF near the NC/SC border. One came to inspect my campsite around dusk. It was a delightful and exquisitely beautiful creature. I knew how rare it is to see one, so I just sat watching in awe. I tried to offer it a strawberry, but it sniffed it and moved on. I guess they don't like sweet foods.

Stephen Lyn Bales said...

Yes. I was pleased Sharon got the photo, even if it is only the back half.