Saturday, February 5, 2011

where are my books?




Being an author is an odd sort of avocation. You spend years and years, working in private: researching, reading, thinking, scribbling, marking through and scribbling yet again. And then, somehow, your babies are born. You often find yourself wondering: Where do they go? Have they found a good home? Or are they languishing in a used bookstore? Or, God forbid, a remainder bin, sold for 50 cents a pound. (An author's nightmare.)


To that end, if you have a copy of one of my books, send me a photo and sate my curiosity.


A second book has ended up in Louisiana, albeit may just be passing through. It's in the hands of Dan and Laurie Mooney, fellow KTOSers now traveling across the country, footloose and free of fancy.


Dan writes: "This historical marker is in Addis, La. Addis is just north of Plaquemine on LA 1 and is the plantation where my mother was raised. Her father was the 'overseer' for St. Delphine around 1915. He later became a game warden and was a game warden in the area in the late 1930s when Tanner came through looking for Ivorybills. Do Tanner's notes mention who he talked to at Piere Part? My maternal grandfather's name was Levert Henry Bird but he was called Pete. Just curious."


I'm not sure about an answer to Dan's question, I'll have to dig into Tanner's journal. But here are the Mooneys in Louisiana.






No comments: