Thursday, November 18, 2010

where's Hiwassee?





I've had several queries about the sandhill cranes at Hiwassee and two questions in particular:

1) When do the sandhills start to arrive at the refuge?

2) How do I get there to see them?

They generally start to arrive in November and leave around March, with a peak in population in mid-winter.

From Knoxville to Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge

1) Leaving Knoxville take I-75/40 South.

2) At the I-75/40 Split take I-75 (left lanes).

3) After split, drive 36 miles to Exit 49 (Athens/Decatur). Take exit and at top of ramp, turn right towards Decatur on Hwy 30.

4) Drive just over 9 miles to Decatur. At traffic light turn left onto Hwy 58 South.

5) Drive approximately 14.5 miles to Blythe Ferry Road on right.

6) Follow Blythe Ferry Road 6 miles to Priddy Road on right. This is the entrance to Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge. Follow gravel road to it dead ends in public parking lot at gazebo

Reverse directions to get home.

1) At the end of Priddy Road (gravel) turn left onto Blythe Ferry Road and drive 6 miles to Hwy 58.

2) Turn left onto Hwy 58 and drive approximately 14.5 miles to Decatur.

3) Turn right at traffic light and Golden Gallon onto Hwy 30.

4) Drive 9 miles to I-75 Exit-49. Follow signs to I-75 North.

5) Take I-75 North and follow signs to Knoxville.


Thank you. Enjoy your day.

No comments: