Sunday, November 21, 2010

how did I get here?


Perhaps this is not germane to the holiday weekend, but then again, maybe it’s spot on.

Our life flows like a stream and on any ordinary day we are faced with choices that affect the course of our life. Where we are at any given point is the cumulative effect of years of such minor, even mundane decisions. Or as the Talking Heads once put it:

“And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile

And you may Find Yourself In A Beautiful House,
With A Beautiful Wife

And You May Ask Yourself: Well...How Did I Get Here?

Letting The Days Go By
Let The Water Hold Me Down

Letting The Days Go By
Water Flowing Underground

Into The Blue Again
After The Money’s Gone

Once In A Lifetime
Water Flowing Underground.”

Forgive me. I have to go now and make some small decision that will effect the rest of my life. No pressure



- Lyrics from “Once in a Lifetime” by the Talking Heads (1984)

- Photo of Baskins Creek. I've spent many hours of my life watching it flow past me.




2 comments:

BriteCloud said...

Hey, did you see my tennis shoe pass by in the river while you were there? I still haven't found it since it fell in 20 years ago. :D

Stephen Lyn Bales said...

What color was it? Was it smurf blue with white laces?

Did you see that Pee Wee Herman is making a come back on Broadway?