Sunday, May 9, 2010

they are as they are






“Well, look at an animal, a cat, a dog, or a bird, or one of those beautiful great beasts in the zoo, a puma or a giraffe. You can’t help seeing that all of them are right. They’re never in any embarrassment. They always know what to do and how to behave themselves. They don’t flatter and they don’t intrude. They don’t pretend. They are as they are, like stones or flowers or stars in the sky. Don’t you agree?”

They are what they are. Natural.

- From "Steppenwolf " by Hermann Hesse (1877-1962), German-born Swiss poet, novelist and painter. Won Nobel Prize for Literature in 1946.

2 comments:

ADRIAN said...

That's great Stephen but it misses a salient point. Animals, overcrowded as humans are, would soon kill. We, apart from odd and statistically rare instances can live much better than animals. Personally, not ideal but I've not got murderous or cannibalistic.......Yet!

Stephen Lyn Bales said...

Adrian.

Oh, I know. It's over simplistic. Developers are cutting sections of woods down near my home to build more houses and the animals that live there are having to move elsewhere. It's also loud and getting on my nerves. I think I'm feeling intruded upon.

I hope all is well on your side of the Atlantic. I hope, at least, that it is quieter.

Lyn