Wednesday, October 7, 2009

coupled



It seemed like everywhere I looked on a recent walk at the nature center, I found coupled insects. Coupled. Coupled. Coupled. In this case, it was a pair of soldier beetles (Chauliognathus pennsylvanicus), at least I think because there are roughly 455 species of soldier beetles in North America. Nature loves diversity.

Soldier beetles are generally brightly colored.
As defense, when molested, they emit droplets of white viscous fluid from pores along their sides. Yuck! Studies have shown they are consistently rejected as prey by birds, mice, other beetles, mantids, assassin bugs and centipedes.

Needless to say, I did not molest them. Obviously, it's their mating season. And the rush is on before the coming cold weather shuts it all down.

1 comment:

Abhishek said...

Nice Picture, I love those white flowers