Saturday, September 12, 2009

unknown trifle




“Everything is complicated; if that were not so, life and poetry and everything else would be a bore…How full of trifles everything is!”

I’ve stitched together two quotes from poet Wallace Stevens, but I think they nest snugly together like mismatched socks lying side-by-side in a dresser drawer.

Speaking of snuggled trifles and worlds within worlds within worlds, Sue Wagoner sent me this photo from Illinois.

It's of an insect tucked away inside a Queen Anne's lace. Sue said, "it is very small, around 1/4 inch-- almost totally camouflaged, and only when I saw the photo could I appreciated the intricate pattern!!"

Indeed.

I have no idea what it might be. Does anyone know? Or will it remain a beautiful unknown trifle.

Thanks, Sue.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lyn,

Great quote - you can't have too many trifles.

Fascinating bug - one of the Heteroptera perhaps?