Sunday, July 19, 2009

another snake story



My surprising black snake story of three days ago prompted me to think of the 1923 poem by D. H. Lawrence. It also takes place in July, but on the other side of the world.

I first read the poem in college, and perhaps, just perhaps, it was the first place I learned to truly respect, even admire snakes. After all, they were not here to harm me, but rather to peacefully coexist.


“A snake came to my water-trough
On a hot, hot day, and I in pyjamas for the heat,
To drink there.
In the deep, strange-scented shade of the great dark carob-tree
I came down the steps with my pitcher
And must wait, must stand and wait, for there he was at the trough before me."


-For the complete poem go to Snake.

2 comments:

Abhishek said...

I remember this poem, I read it in school. I almost forgot it but your blog reminded me of the same.

Stephen Lyn Bales said...

Yes. Aby.

I had almost forgotten it myself. I hope you took the time to go to my link and read the entire poem. It's very wonderful.

Enjoy the remains of your day.

Lyn