Saturday, August 2, 2008

rescue



OK. Call me an old softie, but I’ve always had a tender spot in my heart for Polyphemus, the one-eyed Cyclopes in Homer’s “Odyssey.” It’s the same sort of warm, fuzzy feeling I have for Frankenstein’s monster, King Kong and Quasimodo—Victor Hugo’s bell-ringing hunchback. Don’t we all? After all, they were benevolent, misunderstood outcasts; gentle giants forced to violence by our exclusionary society.

If you remember Homer’s story, Odysseus (Ulysses in Latin) was a Greek hero and King of Ithaca, who took ten years to come home after the Trojan War. Along the way he had many adventures. During one of these, Odysseus and a scouting party landed on the Island of the Cyclopes and slipped into the cave of Polyphemus, stealing some of his food and ultimately blinding his one good eye.

Odysseus and his men sneak out of the cave by tying themselves to the bottom of the giant’s sheep. Because he was now blind, Polyphemus didn’t notice the subterfuge. The Ithacans got away and were crowned heroes, while Polyphemus was left sightless. Where’s the justice in that?

Perhaps then, as a bit of payback, this week I came to the rescue of another Polyphemus.

One evening after work, I discovered three teenage boys throwing things at a brown spot high on a block wall of a neighborhood supermarket. Going to investigate, I discovered they were harassing a large winged insect.

“What are you throwing at?” I asked.

“A bug,” one answered in their defense.

“A bug? What kind of bug?” I inquired. I was wearing my Ijams Nature Center staff shirt, so I looked official.

Inspecting it closer, I announced that their target was a male Polyphemus moth, probably in search of a female.

The boys could relate to his quest, even sympathize with it and helped me catch it.

Polyphemus moths are tan-colored giant silk moths. They have an average wingspan of six inches and their most notable features are large, purplish eyespots on their hind wings. Because of these eyespots the nocturnal giants are named in honor of Homer’s Cyclops but the obvious markings are of no help in finding a mate because they are active at night, using their sense of smell to locate females instead. As caterpillars, they are Herculean eaters, consuming up to 86,000 times their weight in a little less than two months. But as winged adults, they do not even have mouths; their eating days are over. Reproduce is the only thing on their little lepidopteron brains.

Bringing it home, I released the large moth into the safety of my woods but not before I took its photo.

6 comments:

Vickie said...

What a lovely rescue story and turn around of destructive mischief into benevolent curiosity. You get my Nature Citizen award!

Beverly said...

I never understood kids that tormented creatures. "Because they're different" seems excuse enough to harass something (someone?) Even walking down the street and plucking one end of a long, willowy branch just to keep walking and strip it of it’s leaves just makes no sense to me. Never did.

I have always enjoyed turning on kids to the wonders and joys of the natural world…it appears you do to. I agree with Vickie, that you deserve a Nature Citizen award! Good Job.

…and…great photo, what a lovely creature! I think those are the best ‘eyes’ I’ve seen on a bug…such shadowing; it looks as if they belong to a cat! I have seldom seen a very large bug; to find one with a six-inch wingspan must have been awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Great save and a good story! You surely taught those young boys something they needed to know. Way to go, Lyn! Beautiful photo, too.

Stephen Lyn Bales said...

Vickie, Beverly, Patty.

Well shucks. Thanks for your kind words. Perhaps it was payback time in more ways than one; after all, I once was a goofy t-shirt wearing boy and probably tormented a few insects in my youth even though I don’t honestly remember such.

I was more the type to collect them in a jar, turning them into roommates, creating a mini zoo in my bedroom; which sounds innocent enough but really leads to a slow death. Luna moths were always a chartreuse treasure when I found one fluttering below the street light in my neighborhood.

But, at least, in the here and now, the Polyphemus survived.

Many thanks for reading.

Stephen Lyn

Ethan Duke - Assistant Director said...

Add me as a signer to the Award for Lyn! I too can identify with feeling as though I led a savage youth. As John Muir tells, "...Boys are often cruel and merciful, thoughtlessly hardhearted, sympathetic, pitiful, and kind in ever changing contrasts. Love of neighbours, human or animal, grows up amid savage traits, coarse and fine..."

Stephen Lyn Bales said...

Hello Ethan!

Oh yes, John Muir. What a wonderful passage. We grow from little savages. Like the other boys on the street, I got a BB gun for Christmas when I was 10 or 11 years old. I shot one bird and the experience of watching it die devastated me. I never shot another, I just couldn't do it.

Thanks for responding.