Saturday, August 17, 2019

anuran mystery solved






Thank you, Mary Holland for your wonderful blog. 

This little anuran mystery baffled me for a while. I kept finding very (smaller-than-a-dime) kelly green frogs on my outdoor Queen of the Night houseplants, according to everything I had been taught, the American green tree frog is not found in my my part of the state.

So what were they?

Then I bumped into Holland's Naturally Curious blog, and found this about Cope's gray tree frog which live all around my woodland home...


"Upon metamorphosing into a frog, the Gray Treefrog turns a bright emerald green and gradually develops into a mottled greenish-gray adult which can change its color from green to gray in about half an hour to match its environment. The two color phases of the maturing frog (solid green of the young, and mottled gray or green of adult) are so different it’s hard to believe that they are the same species."

Yes. Indeed. Mystery solved. 

Check out her book and for the rest of Holland's post, click: Naturally Curious





No comments: