Monday, March 11, 2019

titmice fighting





Well, boys will be boys!

This morning I had to break up this fight between two male tufted titmice raging with hormones, fighting to the death over territory.

The two scuffled on my deck as I watched through the window. They eventually came to a stop with each clutching the other's eye socket. I walked out the door over to them, took this photo, then picked them up. For a bit they remained still in my hand still determined to hang onto their rival, still locked in mortal combat, until I started stroking them. One began to whimper.  

Very soon, they realized something had changed, a larger presence was hanging over them. Then they let go of each other and flew away, too quickly for me to determine if there was any permanent damage.

It is just that time of the year. Two weeks ago they were probably buddies.

• 

No comments: