Friday, January 18, 2019

eagle spotting





Keep in mind that this is bald eagle courtship season. The peak of egg-laying is in mid-February so January is when established mated pairs reconnect or new pair bonds are formed.

It is astonishing that I am even able to write this. Thirty years ago there were no bald eagles in our part of the world. But due to the efforts of TWRA, TVA and the American Eagle Foundation located in Pigeon Forge, today there is a healthy growing population. Our hats are tipped to the late Bob Hatcher of TWRA who oversaw the eagle introduction into the Tennessee River Valley.  


Naturalist Shelley Conklin took the above photo a few days ago near my hometown. It's the second time she has spotted the eagle there. Is it establishing a territory? Will it attract a mate? Time will tell. 

For the complete story of bald eagles in Tennessee check my first UT Press book: Natural Histories. Available online or stop me in the Kroger parking lot and I'll sell you one out of the trunk of my car.

No comments: