Friday, September 20, 2013

flies make good decisions

E = mc squared? OK. Maybe that's not what I am thinking
about but I am still quick witted.

"Flies might not be deep thinkers, but they can make good decisions very quickly," says Professor Graeme Ruxton at the University of St. Andrews in Scotland.

If you and I were to get together over coffee and jot down every sentence that we would NEVER expect to see in a science article, the above statement would have to rank pretty high on our collective list.

So imagine my surprise when I read it.

It seems that the common housefly (Musca domestica) sees time pass much slower than you and I. And when time moves slower, better decisions are made. (I don't think I would have bought that plaid sports jacket if I'd had more time to think about it.) 

Flies may not be pondering the meaning of life or parallel universes or even where's Waldo, but when it comes to making a quick decision that will save their lives, they are greased lightning.

For the rest of the article that appeared in The Guardian online, go to: What's time to a fly.

Thanks, Suzy.

No comments: