Thursday, August 8, 2013

Thelma Houston, we have a problem




Invited guest or not, this is starting to get out of hand.
 
Kudzu, Pueraria montana via. lobata, was introduced from Japan into the U.S. at the Japanese pavilion in the 1876 Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia. Although it doesn't grow all that well in the City of Brotherly Love, it brotherly loves us to death here in the South. 

It is now common along roadsides and other disturbed areas throughout most of the southeast, including near my home. The above photo was taken only about a half a mile away from where I currently sit. And when I stopped to snap the pic, it inquired just where did I live.

Kudzu has been spreading at the rate of 150,000 acres annually, which means it may get here before I hit save.

Did I just hear the doorbell?

No comments: