Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Tennessee Moth Enthusiasts




Cecropia Moth (Hyalophora cecropia)

Thoreau wrote, "There is elevation in every hour, as no part of the Earth is so low that the heavens may not be seen from it."  

Even if that hour is in the early a.m.

And in this case, I am thinking about those spectacular nocturnal lepidopteran...the moths!


Butterflies get all of the attention. They're colorful, active during the day and often seen against a backdrop of flowers. They just flutter-by giving us a brief look, a brief ooh and aah.

On the other hand, moths are active at night, often small dressed in earth tones but as the FaceBook group the Tennessee Moth Enthusiasts is documenting, they are uniquely spectacular in the own right. Here's an album put togther by my friend from Oak Ridge, Kris Light. Go to: 



2 comments:

Dorothy said...

Very beautiful moth! It's a new one to me.

A Colorful World said...

I love this lovely moth! And I do think we ignore them too much. I will check out the link!