Saturday, November 12, 2011

bear jam?

Cades Cove in the Smokies


Growing up in the Great Smoky Mountains, I'm somewhat accustomed to bear jams—traffic moving as slowly as preserved fruit because someone up ahead has seen a black bear ambling near the road. 

Last month my Mom and I were driving the one-way scenic loop around Cades Cove when the traffic came to a stop, we then proceeded inches at a time for the next hour. Inches. Bicyclists passed us on the right; a park ranger passed us on foot on the left. Still the traffic snail-paced along. 

Ultimately, we reached the front of the line, and discovered what was causing the slow down: not a bear ambling by the road but three bears up an oak eating green acorns. 

The ranger would not allow me to stop but I did manage to shoot one frame over my left shoulder.

It did occur to me that this was not a typical bear jam, it was much slower, thus prompting me to come up with a new set of nomenclature to describe the "sluggishness" of the traffic as it slows to look at a Smoky Mountain black bear.

     No bear.....................35+ mph
     Bear Beer..................35 mph
     Bear Dark Ale.............25 mph
     Bear Custard..............15 mph
     Bear Jelly....................5 mph
     Bear Jam....................3 mph
     Bear Cheesecake......300 feet per hour
     Bear Pâté................100 feet per hour
     Bear Fruitcake...........50 feet per hour
     Bear Aged Cheddar......Dead Stop




3 comments:

Unknown said...

wow, what an incredible thing to see...The pic is great, even if you couldn't stop.

Dave

Patricia Lichen said...

Jealous!
(Well, not of being caught in the bear jam, but of the chance to see 3 bears in a tree eating acorns!)

A Colorful World said...

Once on a trip to Cades Cove we happened upon some bear fruitcake ourselves! There was a mama bear with two cubs, up in a tree. People were getting out of their cars and taking pictures, and the poor Ranger kept telling them to get back. It didn't LOOK like a dangerous situation, but people are always oblivious to how dangerous black bears can be, especially when there are cubs in the mix. I have to admit to my guilt--I took a couple of pictures myself! Loved seeing yours! It brought back memories!:-)