Tuesday, May 10, 2011

golden rush




Even if you are having an unusually bad day. Not Old Testament bad, just Brave New World bad.

If you’re overworked, or under funded, or your home needs a major repair, or your car has been ruined by hail and buying a replacement is not an option, or your seasonal privet, honeysuckle allergies are kicking you in the head, making you muddle-headed, dizzy. You know, that kind of run-of-the-mill bad day.

Here’s the thing. The very tonic. The elixir. Somehow the simple act of seeing a prothonotary warbler can lift your foundation, make you feel less fouled, less put upon, less to-hell-in-a-hand-basket dire.

Just one spectacular golden-yellow passerine. The same color as a dandelion but more joyous.

If you need a lift, look for prothonotary warblers downstream from the River Boardwalk at Ijams. We found one on Sunday afternoon and the rest of the day had a golden glow.

How it works is a mystery to me, probably something to do with endorphins, i.e. endogenous opioid peptides that function as neurotransmitters, a chemical surge in the brain that produces a mental morphine-like rush. A natural high.

But that sounds so cerebral.

4 comments:

Wade Franklin said...

Excellent photo! I saw a black-fronted blue warbler in the deep woods yesterday, with a small caterpillar in its bill. Only the second one I've seen.

Robin said...

Or if you can't find your own Prothonotary Warbler, you can just read about one. That's a pick-me-up, too.

A Colorful World said...

Great post on the joys of seeing such a bird when life is getting you down! And your photo of the warbler is so clear and stunning...I feel like I can reach out and touch his yellow feathers! Seeing the photo brightned my day!

Trendle Ellwood said...

Awesome picture, wonderful words. This world, this life does get me down, sometimes I so just want to go home, nature takes me there, thanks for the reminder!