Friday, March 4, 2011

woodcock display




Last evening, while scouting out for woodcocks in preparation for tonight's annual Ijams' Woodcock Walk to Forks of the River Wildlife Management Area, I almost stepped on one. Not a good thing if you are the one on the receiving end of the stepping. It was the closest I've been able to position myself to date.

I'm always pleasantly surprised that the nondescript damp location that Peg Beute and I discovered many years ago by complete happenstance, is still such a favored display ground for the chunky ground birds. I was so close, I could almost smell the earthworms on the timberdoodle's breath.

If you'd like to see if we can do it again, then join Emily and Than Boves and myself for tonight's foray into the muddy wetland. To sign up, call Sheila at 577-4717, ext. 10.

If you sign up, make sure you dress for muddy conditions. Muddy!

No comments: