Sunday, August 29, 2010

swallowtail soiree




Were you invited?

In affect, I was. Paul James came into my office the other day and said, "You need to check this out." The service road leading into the new Ross Marble Natural Area was apparently holding a swallowtail soiree. Dozens were nectaring on the late-season wildflowers that are in bloom along the overgrown trail.

"You better take your camera," he added. As indeed I did.

The new Ross Marble Natural Area is slated to be opened to the public in early November. It will bring the total acreage of Ijams Nature Center to over 275 acres.




2 comments:

Trendle Ellwood said...

I honestly believe that there has never been so many butterflies. I have been hearing and reading reports from all around that butterflies have been seen in record numbers this summer. I wrote about my awesome experience with butterflies and dragonflies which are coming in hoards this year on my blog.
I love your picture of the three swallowtails, beautiful! And yes, I would bet You Were Invited by that which invites such as we, the little voice that calls from nature, come and see and rejoice!

Stephen Lyn Bales said...

yes, Trendle. it's been a wonderful summer for butterflies. I have several photos I've yet to post.

thanks for stopping by.