Sunday, August 14, 2011

super bum?





The scientific name for the Turk’s cap lily is an odd one: Lilium superbum, or lily superbum.

Super bum? That hardly seems like a worthy descriptor for such a spectacular, six-foot-tall wildflower. But there's more to it. Actually, the species name comes from the Latin “superbus” meaning proud, magnificent, splendid or, in the case of this Smoky Mountain native lily, superb.

Think of it as superb-um.

And it is indeed just that. Certainly worth of a drive to the top of Old Smoky to find them. So what are you waiting for?

2 comments:

Abhishek said...

They looked just stunning and I can't believe they are 6feet tall... I'd love to see them in reality. They are so beautiful.

Stephen Lyn Bales said...

Hello Aby!

It's good to hear from you again. I hope your summer is going well. Has the raining season started yet?

Yes, Aby, they are that tall, even taller because I'm six feet tall and some of the photos I've taken of them I had to look up.

Maybe someday you will see them.