Saturday, October 25, 2008

let's migrate


“And over the grass at the roadside a land turtle crawled, turning aside for nothing, dragging its high-domed shell over the grass. His hard legs and yellow-nailed feet threshed slowly through the grass, not really walking, but boosting and dragging his shell along,” writes John Steinbeck in his 1939 novel "The Grapes of Wrath."

During October, the YWCA of Knoxville and Knox County Public Library are sponsoring “The Big Read.” Everyone is encouraged to read or reread “The Grapes of Wrath,” a work that won Steinbeck the Pulitzer Prize for literature in 1940.

In the novel, the Joads, a poor family of sharecroppers, are driven from their home by drought, economic hardship and changes in agricultural practices. The Joads are forced to sell most of their possessions, load their truck with what’s left and drive 2,000 miles from Oklahoma’s Dust Bowl to California’s lush, green central valley. Becoming migrant workers, they hope to start a new life. But, like the turtle, their journey is not easy. In fact, it's damn hard.

On Sunday, October 26 at 1 p.m., I will lead a symbolic migration along the Will Skelton Greenway to the land of opportunity, i.e. Ijams Nature Center. Along the way we’ll discuss flora and fauna both in the Tennessee Valley and the book. To make the nature walk even more memorable, period attire is suggested.

For more info or to sign up call Ijams Nature Center: 577-4717, ext. 10.

4 comments:

Michele Wassell said...

Sounds wonderful.. I remember reading that book way back when... Your blog is interesting and a lovely design.. I will be back to read your updates...

Stephen Lyn Bales said...

Thank you Michele.

It's going to be a lovely blue sky day here for my "Grapes of Wrath" walk. One of those great late days in October.

BriteCloud said...

I wish I wasn't so far away and I would come join you!

One summer I decided to read some of the classics and "The Grapes of Wrath" was the first one I chose. A wonderful book.

Have fun!

Stephen Lyn Bales said...

Hello britecloud!

Indeed! I wish you could have been here to see me in overalls.

I guess if I were truly adventurous, I could have led the migration through your part of Texas. We could have camped out in your backyard, eaten corn pone and fatback for breakfast and moved on towards California the next morning.

I reread the novel in the past month to prepare for the walk. It’s amazingly powerful and scary. What happened to the Joads could easily happen to any of us and I guess that’s the message we should all take from the story.


It's good to hear from you again.