Tuesday, June 18, 2019

compadres






One of the good things about going out of town is that you make new friends.

So was the case when I journeyed to the Trails & Trilliums Festival in Monteagle to speak about birds at The Dubose.

There, I met and made friends with Dr. Jim Peters, Professor of Philosophy and Coordinator of Environmental Arts and Humanities at Sewanee: The University of the South. Jim and I talked for two hours, and although we became fast new friends, karmic compadres, it was like I have known him for over 20 years, some sort of a past life connection. I know. Easy to write, hard to fathom. 

We bonded over birds and natural history. I write about and draw birds and Jim takes the most wonderful photographs of them, sometimes even catching them in mid-wingbeat. 

Once asked why I am so fond of birds? I answered "it's simple, they are such splendid creatures that do not foul their own nest, home or planet."  

Jim sent me one of his recent prizes. A photo of a male pileated woodpecker tending to the young at the nest. Pileateds normally chisel out their nest hole in a dead tree 15- to 80-feet off the ground. So how did Jim manage this photograph at virtually eye-level? That's his secret. 

It also shows that woodpeckers are EXCELLENT fathers! At my "Bad Dads, Good Fathers" talk last Saturday at Wild Birds Unlimited7240 Kingston Pike, I shared this very same sentiment. Growing up is so much easier when you have a good father. 

But don't stumble over the name. Pileated comes from the Latin "pileatus" and it means capped or crested. 

Keep up the splendid work. See you again soon, Jim!   

No comments: