Tuesday, April 29, 2008

mocha-like


Now that red buckeye’s flowering season is beginning to fade, another hummingbird favorite is starting to appear: crossvine, a native semi-evergreen, woody vine. It’s a climber generally found growing up a supportive tree.

Like most plants that use hummingbirds as pollinators, crossvine has tubular flowers that range from red to orange to tangerine in color. Also known as quartervine, the plant gets its name from its cross-shaped pith. If you cut a stem, you’ll discover it has four chambers that form an “x” pattern.

Crossvine flowers are noted for their curious fragrance, most often described as “mocha-like.” Growing up in Gatlinburg, I knew the smell was unique and would often give the flowers a hardy sniff, but since I had never heard of mocha, I had no point of reference. I couldn't compare it anything in this world. I'm still not even convinced that "mocha-like" is an accurate enough descriptor.

If you find some blooming along your favorite walking path, make sure to give it a sniff. Yesterday, I found this clump growing along the Will Skelton Greenway west of Ijams Nature Center.

No comments: