Monday, November 20, 2017

A revisit to Panther Country






Last Monday, I made my yearly sojourn to Panther Nation, paying a visit to Will Roberts' AP Environmental Science class at Powell High School. It has become an annual tradition.

Each student had been assigned to read a portion of one of my first two books: Natural Histories or Ghost Birds and ask questions about what they had read. Plus we chatted a bit about my new book Ephemeral by Nature now available in the Ijams gift shop. 

Topics we visited were some of my favorite parts of my first two books including Osage oranges, river cane, pawpaws, male lesser prairie chickens dancing in a lek, plus the arduous process of writing a book in the first place. Anda preview of coming attractions—the red pandas and the return of lake sturgeon to the Tennessee River in Ephemeral.

We also talked about beauty in nature and my favorite animal I work with at the nature center. And how could I not have named the partial blind barred owl we care for? He flies beautifully, just doesn't see very well. 

Best of luck to all of you! Thanks, Will.




Lincoln. A red panda at the Knoxville Zoo. 


Click these links for a look back at past visits:






No comments: